Craig and Captain Jack have completed their first day of finalizing the Wanderer repairs. Here are the highlights:
First up was to fix the constellation of screw holes in the transom where the trim tabs have broken off multiple times (Thanks snorkelers!) and water had begun to intrude. Here’s what we were looking at back in September:
The water dripping down the rail tells the tale. We overdrilled these rotted holes until we found good wood and then left these holes under heat lamps for the last month. Confident in their dryness, the boys filled all the holes with fresh fiberglass.
We removed the trim tab piston (see the three hole pattern at the top of the photo) and snatched the pump out too…Captain William doesn’t even use trim tabs! He is able to trim the Wanderer with the motor tilt alone, so this will clean up the transom a bit.
We had a small intrusion spot on the port gunnel, so Jack and Craig cut out and replace a large precautionary section. Jack has gotten a crash course in this kind of work recently on The Discoverer Project.
A fresh layer of glass and it should be ready to go.
Lastly we have installed some of First Mate Alex’s master carpentry into the Wanderer. Here’s the bathroom door:
The fighting chair is an amazing redesign. Behold:
Here’s the big surprise. Polynesian Teak covering boards for the cockpit:
Once the glue dries and we get the batteries off, this is gonna be a beauty.